Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

WHAG Internship



For my college internship, I was hired to intern at the WHAG news station in Hagerstown, Maryland.  I met with Greg Suchanek, one of the directors at WHAG, for an interview on Tuesday January 20th.  He gave me a tour of the studio and introduced me to the staff.  I told Greg that I am going through my senior year at Shepherd, my major was in communications, and that I do my radio show at the Shepherd radio station.  After the interview, Greg gave me a key to the building and my first shift started two days later on Thursday January 22nd.  For that day, I watched one of the cameramen do all the required shots for the 5:00pm, 6:00pm, 7:00pm, and 11:00pm broadcasts.  I had to learn how give the cues to the people in front of the camera.  It's to let them know when to start speaking, which camera to turn to, and how much time they have before going into a commercial break.  Memorizing the cues is not too hard, it's knowing when to cue them is the tricky part. You have to always pay attention to what the production crew is telling you through the headphones So far, I enjoy my internship at WHAG and if they are looking to hire full time, I would be happy to accept the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment